Dune: Part One may have finally premiered across all planned territories, including Australia and New Zealand (on December 2nd), however the news doesn’t stop there. The crew of Dune Talk returns—following their movie review sub-series—to discuss all the developments last week, whether it’s awards nominations for the film itself, long-awaited update on the survival video game from Funcom, or Dune: A Whisper of Caladan Seas, a comic book one-shot coming out this month.
Also, what makes Dune so different when compared to other famous science-fiction sagas, such as Star Wars? Garin, Johnny, Marcus, and Simon have some thoughts, as they look ahead to the huge potential of Frank Herbert’s generations-spanning stories for future adaptations to the big screen, TV, and other media formats.
This podcast (55 minutes) is available below in both video and audio formats. Enjoy and spread the word to fellow Dune fans!
Dune Talk: Episode 24 – An Expanding Universe
If you enjoyed watching our talk show as a full video presentation, take a moment to subscribe to our official YouTube channel. We love to hear your feedback, ideas, and questions.
Powered by RedCircle
Do you prefer listening? Dune Talk is available on the following podcast services and it’s also free to subscribe:
Our show will be coming soon to more of the popular locations where podcasts are found.
News stories covered in the ‘Dune Movie News’ and ‘Duniverse’ segments of this show:
- Finally, the movie has premiered in both Australia and New Zealand, with a $3.4M first weekend premiere in the former. The global box office for Dune: Part One has marched past the $380M mark and could potentially still reach $400M, before its theatrical run is over.
- The Hollywood Critics Association have announced lineups for their January 2022 event. Dune received 10 HCA Film Awards nominations, the most of any movie this year, including Best Picture and Best Director, for Denis Villeneuve.
- Funcom is partnering with Nukklear, a Germany-based studio, on their as-yet-untitled Dune open-world video game. While few details are known at this stage—other than this being in the survival genre, in the vein of Conan Exiles—the announcement indicates ambitions, from both co-developers, for this game to have an “expanded scope”.
- Preview pages have been revealed for Dune: A Whisper of Caladan Seas, the second comic book one-shot from BOOM! Studios, based on a short story of the same name. Like the earlier Dune: Blood of the Sardaukar this tale will take place during the assault on Arrakeen, however this time the soldiers of House Atreides—and their homeworld—take the spotlight.
On this episode:
- Marcus Gabriel | @DuneNewsNet
- Simon Daoudi | @sdaoudi
- Garin Granata | @DuneCompanion
- Johnny Sobczak | @JohnnySobczak
Do you have a question or suggestion for future episodes of Dune Talk? We want to hear from you! Tweet out to @DuneTalkShow, reply to our Instagram posts @DuneTalkShow, or simply leave your note in the comment section below.
Special thanks goes out to Ashton GIeckman for music and Sheldon Lee for voice overs.