DUNE TALK: Dune Movie Review, Episode 2 – Discovering Caladan
Our in-depth movie review sub-series continues on Dune Talk show. This week we’re joined by returning special guest Mark (from DuneInfo), to wrap up our overall reactions, after experiencing many viewings of the film. Then it’s time… to commence a scene-by-scene breakdown, beginning with Chani’s opening narration that introduces us to Arrakis and its native Fremen inhabitants.
Most of this episode focuses on Caladan, the Atreides homeworld, setting for most of the first 24 minutes of Dune: Part One. We cover characters of the noble House, stunning scenery, and how these early events introduce power structures of the Imperium. There’s also healthy debate on merit, or lack thereof, in certain elements of the exposition. Reminder that, like the first part of this review, there are spoilers for contents of the movie.
This podcast (77 minutes) is available below in both video and audio formats. Enjoy and spread the word to fellow Dune fans!
Dune Talk: Episode 18 – Movie Review #2, Caladan
If you enjoyed watching our talk show as a full video presentation, take a moment to subscribe to our official YouTube channel. We love to hear your feedback, ideas, and questions.
Powered by RedCircle
Do you prefer listening? Dune Talk is available on the following podcast services and it’s also free to subscribe:
Our show will be coming soon to more of the popular locations where podcasts are found.
News stories covered in the ‘Dune Movie News’ segment of today’s show:
- Dune: Part One has earned $41 million during its opening weekend in the United States and Canada. Combined with strong premieres overseas—including in China and the United Kingdom—Denis Villeneuve’s adaptation was the number one movie worldwide and already has already surpassed an impressive $223 million cumulative total at the box office.
- Alongside the movie’s domestic premiere, The Art and Soul of Dune—the deluxe ‘making of’ book featuring concept art, behind-the-scenes insights, and interviews with cast and crew—has been released. Mark, who had already received his limited edition, gives a sneak peak during this show. In a recent interview about this art book, author Tanya Lapointe revealed fascinating insights about filming Dune.
On this episode:
- Marcus Gabriel | @DuneNewsNet
- Simon Daoudi | @sdaoudi
- Garin Granata | @DuneCompanion
- Mark / DuneInfo | @DuneInfo
Do you have a question or suggestion for future episodes of Dune Talk? We want to hear from you! Tweet out to @DuneTalkShow, reply to our Instagram posts @DuneTalkShow, or simply leave your note in the comment section below.
Special thanks goes out to Ashton GIeckman for music and Sheldon Lee for voice overs.