DUNE TALK: ‘Dune’ Movie Review, Episode 3 – Arrival on Arrakis
Our scene-by-scene breakdown of Dune: Part One continues on Dune Talk. On this week’s show we pick up from the aftermath of the Gom Jabbar test, at the movie’s 29-minute mark, exploring the revelations about the Bene Gesserit order and beautiful symbolism in Paul’s final moments on Caladan, home for the first 15 years of his life.
There’s so much going on as House Atreides arrive on their new fief, the desert planet Arrakis, both in visuals and dialogue. We dive deep into the religious aspect of the story, whether it’s beliefs of this world’s natives or how the powerful organizations of the Imperium are involved in messianic legends. As with previous parts of this movie review sub-series, where we covered the beginning on Caladan, we are not avoiding spoilers.
This podcast (72 minutes) is available below in both video and audio formats. Enjoy and spread the word to fellow Dune fans!
Dune Talk: Episode 20 – Movie Review #3, Arrakeen
If you enjoyed watching our talk show as a full video presentation, take a moment to subscribe to our official YouTube channel. We love to hear your feedback, ideas, and questions.
Powered by RedCircle
Do you prefer listening? Dune Talk is available on the following podcast services and it’s also free to subscribe:
Our show will be coming soon to more of the popular locations where podcasts are found.
News stories covered in the ‘Dune Movie News’ segment of today’s show:
- On November 2nd, Dune: Part One officially crossed the $300 million mark at the worldwide box office, with over $71 million of that from its domestic release (in under 11 days) and over $229 million coming from overseas territories. Excluding domestic (United States and Canada), this is already the fourth highest grossing English-language movie of 2021 (behind Godzilla vs. Kong) in international territories. Read the full report from past weekend.
- Among a wealth of other behind-the-scenes insights, regarding editing Dune, in a recent ‘Art of the Cut’ interview with Joe Walker, we learned that the editor himself voiced the “filmbook” narration. Paul Atreides using the holographic projection device two times during the movie, when learning about the inhabitants and nature of Arrakis.
On this episode:
- Marcus Gabriel | @DuneNewsNet
- Simon Daoudi | @sdaoudi
- Garin Granata | @DuneCompanion
- Johnny Sobczak | @JohnnySobczak
Do you have a question or suggestion for future episodes of Dune Talk? We want to hear from you! Tweet out to @DuneTalkShow, reply to our Instagram posts @DuneTalkShow, or simply leave your note in the comment section below.
Special thanks goes out to Ashton GIeckman for music and Sheldon Lee for voice overs.