Dune: Part One remained the number one movie overseas in its second week. With both No Time to Die and Venom: Let There Be Carnage now premiering in that same set of countries, what are the crew’s expectations for October? On this week’s Dune Talk show we discuss all the latest details around box office performance, as well as insights from all the behind-the-scenes clips that have been surfacing online.
Then Johnny, Garin, Marcus, and Simon debate the merits of Warner Bros’ approach to the marketing of Dune. What’s Simon’s favorite sport? That’s also revealed during our look at the Dune and NFL cross-over TV spot. We also break down the dynamic between Paul and Duncan in the movie, based on the Caladan hangar scene that showcases the acting performances of Timothée Chalamet and Jason Momoa.
This podcast (72 minutes) is available below in both video and audio formats. Enjoy and spread the word to fellow Dune fans!
Dune Talk: Episode 13 – Touchdown on Arrakis
Powered by RedCircle
Do you prefer listening? Dune Talk is available on the following podcast services and it’s also free to subscribe:
Our show will be coming soon to more of the popular locations where podcasts are found.
News stories covered in the ‘Dune Movie News’ segment of today’s show:
- Dune: Part One has now premiered in over 34 regions and has reached $80M at the overseas box office, within its first two weeks. This is an impressive result—also comparing like-for-like with other blockbusters released during this year—especially considering the movie is not yet released domestically or in key markets, including China, Japan, and the United Kingdom.
- Multiple behind-the-scenes clips have been unofficially released on social media over the past week, offering a ranged of interesting insights into the movie’s productions. Highlights include how they filmed the ornithopter during the spice harvester scene, the familial interactions within crew and cast members on set, and director Denis Villeneuve together with the little maud’dib.
- The marketing of Dune continues. An inventive TV spot during NFL Monday Night Football featured CeeDee Lamb and DeVonta Smit making an appearance on Arrakis. Meanwhile on the YouTube adverstising side, Warner Bros. released a full 90-second scene of the movie, featuring Paul Atreides (Timothée Chalamet) and Duncan Idaho (Jason Momoa) in conversation inside a Caladan hangar.
On this episode:
- Marcus Gabriel | @DuneNewsNet
- Simon Daoudi | @sdaoudi
- Garin Granata | @DuneCompanion
- Johnny Sobczak | @JohnnySobczak
Do you have a question or suggestion for future episodes of Dune Talk? We want to hear from you! Tweet out to @DuneTalkShow, reply to our Instagram posts @DuneTalkShow, or simply leave your note in the comment section below.
Special thanks goes out to Ashton GIeckman for music and Sheldon Lee for voice overs.