DUNE TALK: Early Box Office and Audience Reviews
It begins! Dune: Part One has officially premiered in theaters of 26 territories and is off roaring start at the box office—exceeding 37M following the weekend—outperforming the opening of most top movies this year. On this week’s Dune Talk, the crew analyze the film’s early financials and dive into the exuberant audience reactions and media coverage coming from Europe.
Regulars Johnny, Garin, Marcus, and Simon—together with Mark from DuneInfo—also discuss the 2021 Toronto International Film Festival, including the special award for Denis Villeneuve. Plus we break down more new behind-the-scenes footage and tackle several interesting viewer questions.
This podcast (84 minutes) is available below in both video and audio formats. Enjoy and spread the word to fellow Dune fans!
Dune Talk: Episode 11 – One the Golden Path
Powered by RedCircle
Do you prefer listening? Dune Talk is available on the following podcast services and it’s also free to subscribe:
Our show will be coming soon to more of the popular locations where podcasts are found.
News stories covered in the ‘Dune Movie News’ segment of today’s show:
- Denis Villeneuve receives the 2021 TIFF Ebert Direct Award. Both the director and Rebecca Ferguson, who stars as Lady Jessica, were present for the international IMAX Premiere of Dune: Part One, and gave several insightful interviews.
- A special “Filmed for IMAX” featurette (two minutes) has been released, featuring cast and crew commentary and more behind-the-scenes content. We also get a lot more footage of the iconic ornithopters in action:
- We conducted a round table interview with four European Dune and film enthusiasts who have seen the movie (multiple times), to get their perspectives on Villeneuve’s adaptation cinematic experience. Their enthusiastic reactions are just the tip of the iceberg, in terms of the overwhelmingly positive response we’re hearing from abroad.
- In its first weekend, Dune was the number one movie at the overseas box office, exceeding expectations and breaking records in multiple countries (including Russia) for the largest opening of the pandemic era.
Viewer questions answered:
- Do you think Villeneuve has already cast the role of Feyd (for the second part) and which actor do you think would make a great choice?
- Do you think Dune: Part Two will get the green light before the U.S. release date (October 22), due to the strong international box office? Or will Warner Bros. and Legendary remain cautious and wait?
On this episode:
- Marcus Gabriel | @DuneNewsNet
- Simon Daoudi | @sdaoudi
- Garin Granata | @DuneCompanion
- Johnny Sobczak | @JohnnySobczak
- Mark / DuneInfo | @DuneInfo
Do you have a question or suggestion for future episodes of Dune Talk? We want to hear from you! Tweet out to @DuneTalkShow, reply to our Instagram posts @DuneTalkShow, or simply leave your note in the comment section below.
Special thanks goes out to Ashton GIeckman for music and Sheldon Lee for voice overs.