Although the movie itself has yet to premiere, Denis Villeneuve’s Dune is already receiving recognition for its promotional footage. The first trailer and teaser respectively have each earned a nomination for the Golden Trailer Awards. The 21st annual ceremony is taking place on July 22 in Greeneville, Tennessee and will be live-streamed.
The first Dune trailer released September 9, 2020 is officially titled “Vision” and nominated for “Best Fantasy Adventure” genre trailer. This category also features Black Widow (2021) and The Rise of Skywalker (2019). In case you needed an excuse to watch one more time, enjoy it in 4K Ultra HD (uploaded by Secrets of Dune):
Here’s the full list of nominees in this category:
- Black Widow – “Control”, Disney / Marvel, MOCEAN
- Dune – “Vision”, Warner Bros., Wild Card
- Jumanji: The Next Level – “Change”, Sony, Big Picture
- Jungle Cruise – “Spirits”, Walt Disney Studios, AV Squad
- Mulan – Trailer: True, Walt Disney Pictures, TRANSIT
- Mulan – Warrior Trailer, Walt Disney Picture, REVOLVE AGENCY
- The Rise of Skywalker – “Together”, The Walt Disney Studios, The Hive
The second nomination is for “Best Teaser” trailer: “Test” is the shorter, theater-exclusive Dune teaser that was first shown before select screenings of Tenet in late-August 2020. This version has not been officially published online in English, however Warner Bros. Canada posted the French (dubbed) version on YouTube:
Here’s the full list in consideration for best teaser, including The Batman (2022):
- Antlers – “Escape”, Searchlight Pictures, Buddha Jones
- Cruella – “Roar/Sorry”, Disney, Seismic Productions
- Death on the Nile – Teaser, 20th Century Studios, MOCEAN
- Dune – “Test”, Warner Bros., Wild Card
- JoJo Rabbit – Teaser, Searchlight Pictures, Motive
- The Batman – “Justice”, Warner Bros, Statement Advertising
- Top Gun: Maverick – “Service”, Paramount Pictures, AV Squad
As a result of the awards not being held in 2020, due to the pandemic, all content created from April 2019 to April 2021 was eligible for nominations in this year’s event. In addition to above, awards include “Most Original Trailer”, categories for posters, TV spots, and behind-the-scenes features.
The Golden Trailer Awards were founded over two decades ago by Evelyn Brady-Watters and Monica Brady. The two sisters were motivated to honor the many unseen talents of the entertainment industry—creators behind all of the trailers and other marketing materials that play a key role in reaching audiences. Brady-Watters had the following to say regarding the 2021 ceremony:
This year, we are also dedicating GTA21 as a tribute to all the unsung heroes in healthcare, food service, transportation, emergency services, and more who went to work (while we stayed home streaming) and kept us all going. We offer our sincerest gratitude and a night to enjoy a fun night of entertainment.
The full overview of awards, nominees, and judges are now available on the Golden Trailer website.
Source: Golden Trailer (July 7, 2021), The Hollywood Reporter via Allison Crist (July 6, 2021)